Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Eleven months later


It's slightly strange to think that I have been out of the United States for close to a year now. I had wanted to get out of the country for good for a very long time. There were so many things that made me unhappy about the United States, however, now being gone for so long, I am able to have a better 'outsiders' position, and although there still are many things that upset about the politics, there are heaps of things i truly miss (and cannot live without forever):

- The most obvious: my brother, family & friends---

[I miss seeing my brother on a daily basis, I miss our lunch dates, I miss sing a-longs in the car with him, I miss macbook photo shoots, I miss late-night chats and him forcing me to watch something funny on either: comedy central or youtube, I miss being able to vent to him and cooking him dinners.

I miss my dad and his silliness. I miss beach bike rides with him & breakfast at coco's. I even miss his cleanliness--and obsession with washing my clothes for me, my car and my dirty feet, hehe.

My mom--I miss coming home to her asleep on the couch and telling her to go to bed and her telling me she was just resting her eyes--then coming back 2 hours later and her telling me the same story again. I miss my mom's cooking (especially her cornbread) and conversations with her. I miss her trying to convince me to go with her to the latest Jackson "event," and I miss her silliness as well.

Aunts, Uncles, Cousins---I miss family get-togethers!!

Friends--I miss going out or staying in--I miss lunch dates, going to shows & random roadtrips!!]

-My own ‘real’ big bed, instead of my blow-up mattress-- I miss a big comfy bed with lots of pillows and a big warm blanket

-Spontaneous trips to New Orleans

-High noon cafĂ©’s vegan: Caesar dressing, beet burger & carrot cake--daily lunches!!

-Soup & Salad (all-you-can-eat) Restaurants: i.e. Souplantation & Jasons Deli

-Extremely large coffees & free refills (drip coffee)-- I have not had drip coffee in forever!

-Burritos! & Chips & salsa, corn tortillas (Mexican food, in general)

-Black beans

-Bananas and berries

-Unlimited broadband Internet

-Music stations: Pandora, last fm, etc.

-Knowing which way to look when crossing the road-- I always think I am gonna get hit since pedestrians do not come first in this country.

-Insulated homes/buildings--i am so tired of being cold

-Low priced everything: housing, food, etc.---this country is soooo expensive

-Silk Almond milk

-Good tasting drinkable tap water

-Z’s instead of ‘s & no extra u’s in color & favorite

-Not having to spell my last name: g-o-n-ZED-ale-ZED

-Boys who hold doors open for ladies-- it just doesnt exist here.

No comments:

Post a Comment